How to Apply for Foster Child Grant: A complete and comprehensive Guide

About the foster child grant: Get a grant to take care of your foster child. A foster child is a child who has been placed in your custody by a court as a result of being: orphaned, abandoned, at risk, abused, neglected. How much will you get? You will get R1 050 per month per child. How do you know if you qualify? To qualify: you must be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee you and the child must live in South Africa the foster child must be legally placed in your care and the child must remain in your care the child must be younger than 18.


How will you be paid? The South African Social Security Agency will pay the grant to you through one of the following methods: cash at a specific pay point on a particular day electronic deposit into your bank or Postbank account (the bank may charge you for the service) an institution acting as the administrator of the grant (e.g. a welfare organisation).


Note: If you are unable to collect the money yourself, you can appoint a procurator at the office, or give someone power of attorney to collect the grant on your behalf. When may your grant be suspended? The following may result in the suspension of your grant: a change in your circumstances, the outcome of a review, if you fail to co-operate when your grant is reviewed, when you commit fraud or misrepresent yourself, if there was a mistake when your grant was approved.

What you should do: Go to the South African Social Security Agency office nearest to where you live and bring the following: Your 13 digit-bar-coded identity document (ID) and the birth certificate for the child. If you are a refugee, your status permit and refugee ID. If you don’t have your ID or the child’s birth certificate: Complete an affidavit on a standard format in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not an official. Bring a sworn statement signed by a reputable person (like a councillor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion or school principal) who knows you and the child.


The official will take your fingerprints. You will be referred to the Department of Home Affairs to apply for the ID even as your application is processed. If you don’t get an ID, your grant will be suspended. Submit proof that you have applied for an ID and/or birth certificate at the Department of Home Affairs. Submit a temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs (if applicable).

Present a baptismal certificate if available. Submit a road to health clinic card if available if the child is at school, the child’s school certificate. Birth certificate/s of the child/ children, or their identity documents from their country of origin. Court order that placed the child in your care Proof of your marital status.

Complete the application form in the presence of the SASSA officer (note that only you as the applicant or a SASSA official can complete the application form). You will be given a receipt. Keep it as proof that you applied.

Read the articles below for more information of sassa grants

How much does it cost The service is free.

Forms to complete: The application form is not available online, but you can get it at your nearest SASSA office.

Who to contact: South African Social Security Agency (SASSA)

SASSA Toll free: 0800 60 10 11
Email: (link sends e-mail)[email protected]