How to Apply for Sassa Old age pension Grant.

About the older person’s grant: You can get a grant to see you through your old age. An older person’s grant is paid to people who are 60 years or older. This grant used to be called the old age pension. How much will you get? The maximum amount that you will get is R1 890 per month. If you are older than 75 years, you will get R1 910.


How do you know if you qualify? You must: be a South African citizen, permanent resident or refugee, live in South Africa, not receive any other social grant for yourself, not be cared for in a state institution, not earn more than R86 280 if you are single or R172 560 if married. not have assets worth more than R1,227,600 if you are single or R 2,455,200 if you are married. What you should do: Go to the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office nearest to where you live and bring the following: Your 13-digit bar-coded identity document (ID). If you don’t have an ID: you must complete an affidavit on a standard SASSA format in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a SASSA official,


you must bring a sworn statement signed by a reputable person (like a councillor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion or school principal) who can verify your name and age, the SASSA official will take your fingerprints. You will be referred to the Department of Home Affairs to apply for the ID while your application is processed.

If you don’t get an ID, your grant will be suspended. Proof of your marital status (if applicable). Proof of residence. Proof of your income and/or dividends (if any). Proof of your assets, including the value of the property you own. Proof of your private pension (if any). Your bank statements of the previous three months. If you were employed, proof of your Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) membership (‘blue book’) or discharge certificate from your previous employer. If your spouse died within the last five years, a copy of the will and the first and final liquidation and distribution accounts where applicable.


Please note: If you are too old or sick to travel to the office to apply, a family member or friend can apply on your behalf. The person should take a letter from you and/or a doctor’s note saying why you cannot visit the office. Complete the application form in the presence of the officer (note that only you as the applicant or an official may complete the application form). The officer will interview you and tell you if you qualify for the grant. You will be given a receipt. Keep it as proof that you applied.

Read the articles below for more information of sassa grants

What if your application is not approved?

If your application is not approved, SASSA will inform you in writing why your application was unsuccessful. If you disagree with the decision, you can appeal to the Minister of Social Development at the national Department of Social Development. You must appeal within 90 days of being notified that your application was unsuccessful. How long does it take
It may take up to three months to process your application. If your grant is approved, you will be paid from the date on which you applied.