How to Apply for your Care Dependency Grant: A Complete and Comprehensive Guide.

  • What to expect on to find in this article?
  • What is the care dependency grant?
  • How do I Apply for it?
  • What are the Requirements?

About the care dependency grant: Get a grant to take care of a child who has a severe disability and is in need of full-time and special care. The care dependency grant covers disabled children from birth until they turn 18.How much will you get? You will get R1 890 per month. What you should do: Go to the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office nearest to where you live and bring the following: your 13-digit bar-coded identity document (ID) and birth certificate.


If you don’t have an ID or birth certificate: Complete an affidavit on a standard SASSA format in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a SASSA official. Bring a sworn statement signed by a reputable person (such as a councilor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion or school principal) who can verify your name and age.


The official will take your fingerprints and refer you to the Department of Home Affairs to apply for the ID while your application is processed. If you don’t get an ID, your grant will be suspended. Proof that you have applied for an ID and/or birth certificate at the Department of Home Affairs.

A temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs (if applicable). Baptismal certificate if available. Road to health clinic card if available. School report if available. A medical/assessment report that confirms the child’s disability. Proof of your marital status.


Your salary slip, bank statements for the previous three months, or pension slips, and any other proof of income. (Note: this does not apply to refugee foster parents.) If you are: not the child’s parent, proof that you are the child’s primary caregiver through an affidavit from a police official, a social worker’s report, an affidavit from

the biological parent or a letter from the school principal from the school attended by the child the biological parent of the child and the sole provider and caregiver, proof that you have tried to get the other parent to pay maintenance unemployed, proof from the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) or a discharge certificate from your previous employer a refugee foster parent, refugee status permit and refugee ID the child’s foster parent, the court order placing the child in your care.

Read the articles below for more information of sassa grants

Please note: If you are too old or sick to travel to the office to apply, a family member or friend can apply on your behalf. The person should take a letter from you and/or a doctor’s note saying why you cannot visit the office. SASSA will refer the child for a state medical officer’s assessment before the application is made. Complete an application form in the presence of the SASSA officer (note that only you as the applicant or a SASSA official can complete the application form). You will be given a receipt. Keep it as proof that you applied.